Sunday, June 29, 2008

Maybe I'm not telling you everything...

It occurred to me last night that what I have written on this blog may lead some of you to believe that this process has been, and will continue to be, a walk in the park. And while it is for me, I am reminded that I am not the one doing the sacrificing!

For example, on Saturday, Gene got in most of his protein and fluid requirements and STILL only consumed about 550 calories. Therefore, his energy level is pitifully low. We went to a nephew's birthday party last night, and while his brothers stood in solidarity with "Jr." and didn't eat, that didn't lessen the fact that cake and ice cream may come and go, but Gene will stand by and watch. I drove us to that party and back because Gene said he just didn't feel "right". These observations that I have made are minor in comparison to the internal battles minute by minute that he doesn't share with me.

Of course, we NEVER want to get back to where we were. Where were we? Living in the land of Food, where Gluttony is the capitol and the inhabitants of the land pay homage by planning lavish gatherings filled with delicasies approved by our beloved leaders, Excess and Indulgence. Those days and that reign must end.

So this is for those of you who may be considering the surgery. It is not a "cakewalk" friends, and you need to go in with your eyes open and your chinstrap buckled! And for those of you who want to keep up with Gene's progress, perhaps you could add these issues to your prayer list for him.

Thanks for listening.

3 comments:

marsebb said...

Way to go, Gene (and Sonya, too, for being so supportive!) I went through all the prep with Dr Boyce,but my insurance wouldn't approve it. I have been thinking seriously about trying again because I have different ins now. You give me hope. love you,
marilyn s

Bridgette said...

Sonja,

I had no idea that you were considering this option for Gene. I will be praying for the both of you, as I am familiar with the city of Gluttony.

In Christ,
Bridgette

Tilly said...

I know that this whole process is a struggle for you both and I am praying for you. I am so proud of Jr. for taking this step towards a healthier life. I love you guys.
Cynthia